Home  •  Morgan County  •  The Chamber  •  Our Members  •  Helpful Business Links  •  Visitor Info  •   Contact Us
Automobile Registration
Building Permits
Business Licenses
Clubs & Associations
Cultural Activities
Driver's License
Event Room Rentals
Financial Institutions
Health & Community Care
Hunting & Fishing Licenses
Law Enforcement
Local Government
Mail/UPS/Western Union
Marriage License
Recreation & Entertainment
Senior Services
West Virginia

Driver's License

Before you visit the Department of Motor Vehiches, be sure you have everything you need to get your driver's license or ID card.

Call the DMV at 1-800-642-9066 with questions or visit their website at dmv.wv.gov

NEW Licensing Requirements
Effective January 3, 2012, you will be required to bring in the documentation outlined below.

Current unexpired Licenses and ID cards are still valid and will continue to be until their expiration. All Licenses issued after January 3, 2012 will fall under the requirements and guidelines outlined below. Click here to see previous Licenses.
You must have one (1) Proof of Social Security Number:

* Original Social Security Card
* Wage and Tax Statement (W-2) or payroll stub with the applicant’s employer name and employer ID number, as well as the applicant’s name, address, and Social Security Number
* SSA/1099 Form (Social Security Benefit Form)

Please make sure your Social Security records reflect your full legal name, as reflected on your other documents. DMV must be able to establish a name connection between documents, therefore your full legal name must match your name on file with the Social Security Administration. Your documents will be scanned and returned to you, which will provide DMV with a historical record, and provide you with additional protection.

You must have one (1) Proof of Identity:

* U.S. Birth Certificate: An original or certified copy of a United States-issued birth certificate (U.S. Department of State and U.S. Military birth certificates ARE acceptable. Hospital birth certificates are NOT acceptable.)
o To obtain a birth certificate, if you were born in West Virginia, contact the Office of Vital Statistics. If you were born in another state, the National Center for Health Statistics has information on how to obtain a birth certificate.
* Valid unexpired U.S. Passport
* If foreign born, valid, unexpired Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Documents

You must have two (2) forms of Proof of WV Residency Documents

You may use two documents from LIST B or one from LIST B and one from LIST C. Documents with a PO Box are not acceptable. Any recurrinng document cannot be more than 60 days old (ie utility bill). Married applicants may provide residency documents from LIST B or LIST C in their spouse's name when accompanied with a Certified Marriage Certificate.

* WV utility bills (not more than 60 days old)
* Tax records with a WV street address
* WV mortgage documents, WV homeowner insurance documents for a WV residence or proof of WV home ownership
* WV W-2 form not more than 18 months old
* WV weapons permit
* A Valid WV Motor Vehicles registration card
* WV voter’s registration card
* WV driver’s eligibility certificate (School Enrollment Form) if applicant is under age 18 with the applicant’s WV street address
* WV Homestead Tax exemption
* Proof of WV Public Assistance
* Residential rental or lease agreement
* WV DMV Affidavit of West Virginia Residency


* College admissions letter that shows the applicant is an in-state resident
* Letter from any of the below offices that show the applicant has been a WV resident at their facility and that shows the current physical address, letterhead preferred but not required:
o WV Homeless Shelter, Hotel or Job Corp
o WV Senior Citizens Home
o WV Rehabilitation Center
o WV Nursing Home
o WV Children’s Home, Orphanage or Shelter
o WV Battered Women’s Shelter
* Benefits letter from WV Health and Human Resources
* Check stub from any WV employer that shows a current physical address (cannot be hand written).
* Social Security benefits letter
* WV Professional License
* Letter from the applicant’s employer stating that all utility and house arrangements are provided by the employer
* United States Selective Service card
* Letter from the US Post Office that shows a new, physical, WV address assigned by the Post Office for the applicant
* WV Dealer temporary registration card
* WV Bank Statement, Auto Insurance or Hunting License
* License Plate renewal form
* 911 letter

Proof of Legal Name Change (if applicable)

Any change in your legal name must be represented through one of the following proof

* Marriage Certificate (If you need to obtain one, contact the county courthouse in the county and state in which you were married.)
* Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate
o To obtain a birth certificate, if you were born in West Virginia, contact the Office of Vital Statistics. If you were born in another state, the National Center for Health Statistics has information on how to obtain a birth certificate.
* Court Order
* Divorce Decree with Name Change

Also, you will now have an opportunity to choose a Real ID compliant driver’s license or ID card with a gold star meeting full Federal requirements for use at airports and other federal facilities. Samples are provided below. Please take note that while these cards are applied for at all DMV locations, they arrive at the applicant's address through UPS in approx. 15 business days. A temporary License is issued at the time the application is accepted at DMV for use during the 15 day production and shipping of this card.

New Residents
After establishing residency, residents who want to drive in WV must apply for a WV driver's license within 30 days. Applicants applying for a West Virginia driver's license that are transferring from another state must provide their valid out-of-state license. If the applicant's driver's license is lost or stolen, a certified driving record (no older than 30 days from the date of application) from their previous state must be submitted.


Contact Us   •  Join the Chamber  •  Newsletter  •  Economic Development

Berkeley Springs - Morgan County Chamber of Commerce  •  127 Fairfax St., Berkeley Springs, WV 25411  •  (304) 258-3738